free-radicals

Antioxidants and free radicals in cosmetics

Cosmetics and ecology, Face care -

Did you know that 80% of skin ageing is due to the action of free radicals? Only the remaining 20% is due to the passage of time! We live exposed to a multitude of toxins and the accumulation of these toxins prevents the correct functioning and alters the balance of the dermis, leading to premature ageing of the skin and loss of radiance.

You’ve probably heard the terms free radicals, antioxidants and oxidative stress but they’re not very clear to you. If you want to learn more about this topic, we encourage you to keep reading this blog!

What is oxidative stress?

Oxidative stress occurs when there is an imbalance in our cells due to an increase in free radicals and/or a decrease in antioxidants.

What are free radicals?

Free radicals can be formed by many of the external agents or pollutants that surround us (air or environmental pollution, food, radiation, sunlight (UV), tobacco smoke or some fats, pesticides and herbicides that we ingest).

We want to emphasize that free radicals are not always “bad”, sometimes our body produces them in a moderate way to fight bacteria and viruses. The best known free radical is superoxide and is a product of respiration. It is important to stress that free radicals are normal in our body, as we have mechanisms to counteract them and maintain a balance. Only an excess of these is harmful. This excess can cause cellular and premature ageing over time.

But when free radicals steal electrons from lipids, proteins and other molecules that make up the cell membranes, they damage the cell’s DNA and prevent the proper performance of the cell’s regeneration and reproduction functions. When these attack the collagen fibres, the skin loses elasticity, glow and it wrinkles.

How do free radicals act?

Free radicals are unstable and have a very short life, approximately a millionth of a second. Any molecule in the vicinity will be affected and will in turn be transformed into a free radical, triggering a chain reaction.

antioxidants

How can you fight free radicals?

Antioxidants are our mechanism for fighting and neutralizing free radicals. Free radicals are produced by cells and are linked to different diseases.

Every day millions of free radicals “attack” us and it is thanks to our cells that we synthesize these antioxidant compounds to counteract them. Therefore, the greater our ability to counteract free radicals, the healthier and better able we are to keep our organism young.

What types of antioxidants are there and where can they be found?

There are many types of antioxidants, some of which are flavonoids, carotenoids, vitamin E (tocopherol) and vitamin C.

At Mediterranean Spirit we have developed different antioxidant treatments to combat the effects of free radicals. Our products have been formulated by selecting different antioxidants (vitamin C, vitamin E, resveratrol, ferulic acid, pomegranate seed oil, grape seed oil, etc…) which combined enhance their effect. The quality of the active ingredients used and their concentration guarantee their effectiveness against free radicals and also provide other benefits for your skin.

If you want to reduce expression lines and wrinkles, give your skin luminosity and elasticity, start your skincare detox plan now with Mediterranean Spirit cosmetic products! Essential for improving your skin health! Take care of your skin as it deserves and try our products that stimulate, purify and revitalise your skin.

The formulation of all our products has been specially selected to provide natural detoxifying ingredients to achieve a skin full of health, which improves its functions and structures.

Share your experiences, routines and impressions with us in the comments of this Blog or Instagram. We love to hear from you and your impressions about healthy lifestyles and natural cosmetics! Don’t forget to stop by every week because we upload new content and we assure you that you will love it!

Subscribe to our Newsletter and don’t miss a thing!

Leave us your comment

Mediterranean Spirit

In Mediterranean Spirit we elaborate natural and ecological cosmetics inspired by the beauty of the Mediterranean. We extract the best of its nature to pamper your skin. We care about our products being of high quality, being honest with the benefits of the ingredients. Mediterranean Spirit is designed for people who are aware of the environment and sustainability.